As a guideline, here is a potential list of questions to ask if you are thinking about taking part in a clinical trial.
- What is being studied?
- What phase is the trial in? (Phase 1, 2, or 3? Remember, the earlier the phase, the more experimental the treatment.)
- What kinds of tests and treatments will I receive?
- How long will the clinical trial last?
- Are there any side effects? Are they different from the side effects of the standard treatment?
- Who do I contact if I have problems or questions?
- How often will I have to return for follow-up visits? Where do I go?
- Will I have to stay in the hospital?
- Will it cost me (or my insurance) to participate in this study?
- Will I be able to see my own doctor? Who will be in charge of my care?
- Who do I contact if I want to leave the clinical trial?
See also on this site:
Updated October 2013