Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. Millions are affected by heart disease. To help prevent the devastating toll of heart disease and increase awareness of its effects, Texas Heart Institute is proudly participating in American Heart Month.
We invite you to join us in this national effort to raise awareness.
How can you take action?
1. Participate in this Calendar of Heart Month Events
2. Commit to being more heart healthy.
Our founder, Dr. Denton A. Cooley says "The secret to longevity and good health is prevention. Make the lifestyle changes necessary to promote good health in the future."
A few healthy changes can lower the risk of developing heart disease for you and your loved ones. Controlling and preventing risk factors is also very important for people who already have heart disease. To lower your risk:
- Watch your weight.
- Quit smoking and stay away from secondhand smoke.
- Control your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Get active and eat healthy.
For more information, visit our Healthy Heart Guide.
3. Learn more about Heart Month